Apple TV is a pretty reliable device, but if you do have a problem it’s not obvious how to do a factory reset. We show you how.
Of the fifteen Apple TVs we have, only one has developed a problem which required a factory reset. The device would power on but wouldn’t accept any input from the remote control. As there is no pinhole reset button on Apple TV it’s not obvious how to carry out a factory reset.
How to Factory Reset an Apple TV
The solution is surprisingly simple:
- Disconnect your Apple TV from your TV.
- On the back of the Apple TV is a micro-usb port. Connect a micro-usb cable to the port and connect the Apple TV to your Mac or PC. If you don’t have a micro-usb cable (they come as standard with most non-Apple mobile phones) you can pick one up very cheaply from many online stores.
- Once connected, open iTunes. Your Apple TV should automatically be detected and listed as a device in the same way as an iPad or iPhone. Select the Apple TV.
- You will now have the option to restore your Apple TV
- Click “Restore Apple TV…” The restore will take approximately ten minutes after which you’ll have a factory reset device.